Thursday, July 09, 2009

Work / Life Balance

For months I couldn't wrap my arms around having two kids and working full time. I always felt like I wasn't doing well at any of my jobs. I was too tired to fully devote myself to work for 8 hours a day, and then really too tired to have energy for Lucas in the evenings (Ellen was with me all day). If I tried to get ahead at work, I felt guilty for spending less time with Lucas. And if I spent more time with Lucas I felt the pressure of being behind at work. No matter what I did I felt guilt and pressure. Finally, thankfully, I had a bad day that made me realize that something had to change. Long story short, I am now a part-time-stay-at-home-mom! I began my new job this Monday. As for my old job, I am doing about the same thing, just a little less of it. My IBM hours are M-F from 7am-noon. I turn off the computer at noon and Ellen and I hop in the car to pick up LB from his Montessori school (more on this later).
I loved, loved, loved my new schedule this week. It was if a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders and I was able to relax and enjoy my time with Lucas and Ellen. And Tyson - more time with him too!
On Monday we went to the Farmer's Market and then to Pullen Park.
Lucas and I shared a pasty at the end of our shopping trip...

I wanted to capture our first day together, so I had Lucas take this picture of Ellen and me...

And at Pullen Park Lucas rode the boats for the first time all the way through. For some reason he was afraid of these about a year ago...

Ellen wanted to ride too, but she is not quite big enough...

2 comments:

Meg Boyd said...

I am so glad to hear it went so well!!!!! I am so happy for you I am sure this will help you feel like you "can have it all". You are a super Momma!

Kristen said...

I am happy for you too. It is so important to find that balance that works for you. I know you will enjoy it! Congrats on your new schedule!! We can't wait to see you guys!