Sunday, March 04, 2012

Allowance

I recently stumbled across the topic of giving an allowance with a couple of friends.  I liked their ideas of giving an allowance to teach them about money, but not have them earn it by doing chores.  The idea being that helping out around the house is not an option.  Lucas and Ellen don't do much, and I probably need to come up with some more significant tasks.  Anyhow, I tied his allowance to sleeping in his bed all night because I thought that would give him the extra incentive to stay in his bed, and also let him have a little cash to make purchasing decisions.

Somehow Lucas had a little cash saved up already, so with the $3 we gave him today, he had $12.  It was burning a hole in his pocket, so we headed to Target (we were going anyway.)  Let it go down in the history books that Lucas's first purchase with his very own money was a mini death star lego thingy AND an ice cream from our favorite $1 ice cream place.  He actually had $1 left in his wallet and was dying to spend it.  I think he was happy with his purchases. 




I think Ellen was just happy to be part of the excitement : )

No comments: