Monday, September 24, 2007

A Weekend with Daddy

I flew to Atlanta this weekend for a bridal shower and was gone about 30 hours. Jeff, Lucas and Tyson held down the fort while I was away. It was the first time that Jeff had to take care of Lucas by himself. Jeff said that Lucas behaved perfectly and they had a great time. I think that it's very clear now that mommy is the one with separation anxiety, not Lucas!

So this is how the weekend went...

I started getting anxious on Friday afternoon. These were some of the thoughts going through my restless mind while trying to go to sleep that night.

Thought #1: "Oh no. What if Lucas starts running a fever. The thermometer needs new batteries... and where is the Tylenol? Mental note - make sure Tylenol is in the cabinet where it should be. Worst case Jeff can go buy some new Tylenol."
(Note that there have been no fevers for as long as I can remember).

Thought #2: "What if Lucas doesn't like the broccoli, carrots, chicken or pear that I washed, cubed, cooked and stored in plastic containers for him? What if he doesn't eat while I'm gone? Worst case Jeff feeds him goldfish all weekend."

Thought #3: "Oh dang, I meant to trim Lucas's fingernails today."

Thought #4: "Did I remember to wash and neatly set out all of the sippy cups?"

Thought #5: "It's after midnight and I have to wake up at 5am!"

Needless to say, I was a nervous nelly all morning. I was secretly hoping that Lucas would wake up sick so that I wouldn't have to go. As I pulled away in the car I realized that I had committed. My heart was so heavy as I flew away from Raleigh towards Atlanta. "How could Lucas survive without me? I shouldn't leave while I'm still nursing. Poor Lucas."

I called Jeff at 10:30am to see how the morning was going. I was so relieved when Jeff told me that they had had a great morning so far. Lucas woke up happy and ate a good breakfast. I asked Jeff if he asked for milk and Jeff said that he was walking around the house with one of my bras doing the sign for "milk". What a smart little guy.

After breakfast they were off to Kindermusik class. Jeff wasn't looking forward to it because he hadn't been to this new class and was afraid it was going to be super cheesy with singing and dancing with other moms and dads. It made me smile when he said that he actually enjoyed the class and that Lucas participated perfectly. The teacher told Jeff that I would be jealous that he did so well without me there. (Remember that there are 3yr olds in the class, so Lucas is learning to sit still and participate with the rest of the older kids). Jeff said it was so cute when Lucas kept reaching for some lady's hand after they did "Ring Around the Rosy".

The rest of the weekend went just as well. Jeff asked Lucas at 12:30 if he was tired and Lucas put his hand on the side of his head to indicate that he was ready for a nap. Jeff said that he was rocking Lucas and stopped because he thought he was asleep. Lucas was still awake, however, and would do the sign for "more" without opening his eyes to tell Jeff he wanted more rocking. That night it got even sweeter. Lucas indicated that he wanted to get in the crib with him by pointing at the crib and doing "more". When Jeff put him in the crib he plopped down on his back and showed Jeff the "more" sign again. Jeff knew that he wanted him to get in the crib with him, so he did. Instead of nursing him, obviously, he rubbed his back and sang to him. Jeff said if he would stop rubbing his back that Lucas would do "more". When he woke up at his usual 1am time Jeff just brought him to our bed and they slept soundly until 7am.

I got home at about noon on Sunday, just in time to put Lucas down for his nap. I had a great weekend with 2 of my best friends from college, Mandy and Lauren. Mandy is getting married on New Year's Eve, so we were throwing her a shower. After I realized that Lucas was fine without me I relaxed and really had a good time. The bonus was that I got to sleep 7 hours straight that night.

Last night Lucas asked Jeff to put him to sleep. I was in shock, but then Jeff brought Lucas out and said that he had gone to the door and said "Mama". Whew!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Way to go Jeff and Lucas!! Shan, I'm glad that you had a good time away and that you finally got some sleep! Love you!