Monday, May 14, 2012

Swim Lessons

Lucas B. has decided he wants to do swim team this year.  He tried it two years ago, when he was barely 4yrs old, and didn't like it.  Last year we paid and he practiced a few times before backing out again.  He said that it was boring and he got cold.  I can see what he's saying because at practice there is a lot of standing in line and shivering.  I told him that this year he'll be 6yrs old, so he'll be one of the oldest on the team, and they need him to win points for them.  He likes to win, so he said sure.  I want him to start feeling confident, so I got him some swim lessons to work on strokes.  Thankfully, he loved the lessons!  Mr. Dwayne is great and Lucas has asked daily if it's a swim day.  Fingers crossed that he likes the actual team! 

Here is the turkey waiting his turn to practice.  He talked me into a snorkel this week, so he warmed up by playing around with that. 



I didn't think the lady would sit by and watch too long before asking to join in.  She went to Lucas's first lesson and then asked me each day after that when HER swim lesson was going to be.  So I worked with Mr. Dwayne and lined up lessons at the same time for the next few weeks. 

I must say, not sure if I've seen anything cuter!  Lil bit with her big ole goggles on!  She was so excited! 

This was Ellen's first class without me, ever.  She did a toddler dance class once, but it was Mommy and Me.  And Jeff took  her to a music class, but he was with her.  We tried a sports class once, but she wasn't into being out there without me.  So I wasn't sure how she'd do, but it was a success!  This is her before she started.  You know that Ellen doesn't give these smiles for the camera that often...



Walking over to the coach...

They started with the kick board.  Patiently waiting her turn...

"Hi Mommy!"

And she's in!

Totally loving it.

She looked like a pro...

Thought this was cute... the boy next to her must have been 5 or 6.

He had her jump in and then swim the length of the pool.  The idea is to start with the thing on her back and gradually take away layers until she can swim on her own.  She has jumped in a million times and goes under often, but I usually at least get her hands.  I think he caught her off guard when he told her to jump w/out holding out his hands.  She hesitated for a few sec, but then took the plunge!


Just one of the big kids...


Then it was time to work on their kicking. The little lady was out there all on her own just kicking away!




No comments: