Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sign for Eat

Lucas is so cute with his signing lately. The latest one that he has mastered is the sign for eat.

On Friday he hadn't eaten that much all day, but since he's still nursing I don't ever worry much about that. I offer him 3 meals and 2 snacks. He usually eats a few bites, but often gives me the sign for "all done" a few minutes into the meal. I am trying to respect his wishes, so we end the meal then. Anyway, we were at the pool and a family that we didn't know ordered some burgers and fries for dinner. When Lucas saw them he got out of the pool and walked toward them pointing at them and doing the sign for "eat" and making an "uh-uh-uh" noise, which means that he wants something. I tried to re-direct him, but he was insisting that he was hungry. Luckily we did know someone else sitting nearby and they gave him a french fry, and then another and another.

It's moments like these when I can relate to a saying I heard recently, "I was a great parent before I had kids."

I have another story that I like regarding his new favorite sign. The three of us went to the grocery store this weekend. Jeff was pushing Lucas in the cart and had stopped near an ad for pretzels. We heard his "uh-uh-uh" noise and looked over to see him pointing at the pretzel and doing the sign for "eat". Oh, it was the cutest thing ever! Of course I opened up those pretzels and gave him one.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

It's awesome that he knows so many signs... isn't funny when they act like they're hunger-stricken in front of people who are enjoying their own meal. Laiq does it too... but when it comes to his own food, it's a battle everytime!

We need to get together before you move, not that we can't after, but you know what I mean... I was thinking pool tomorrow after work. If your all packed up maybe you can join us!

And no Shannon was not her name... I won't tell you what it was but maybe I should email you with some names of nannies that you need to stay clear of.