Tuesday, June 05, 2007

We've committed...

... to co-sleeping.

I had never even heard of co-sleeping until I saw a couple discussing it on HBO's show, Six Feet Under, before Lucas was born. The character, Lisa, had some other "granola" type characteristics that I liked, so I checked out some articles on the internet the next day. It's one of the subjects, like many baby related subjects, that is highly debated. If you support it you really support it, and if you're against it you are really against it.

When Lucas was a tiny infant we liked the idea of having him next to us, so we bought a little bed that we could put between Jeff and me, but Lucas was protected. When he grew out of that and the bassinet we moved him to the crib in his room. We liked to say that we intentionally put him down in his crib and then into bed with us in the wee hours of the morning, but it wasn't planned or intended... it was just the easiest thing to do.

What we do now is rock Lucas to sleep around 8 or 8:30 and put him in his crib. He sleeps there 4-5 hours, on a good night, and then we bring him to bed with us. We did this in our queen bed for a few months, but it got too crowded, so we moved Lucas's twin mattress beside our bed. Now it's GREAT! I love it. Jeff and I have time to hang out a few hours on our own each night, but we also get to snuggle and bond with Lucas for several hours each night.

I think if I were staying home with Lucas all day and not working that I may need a break at night, but since I work full time and only see him for a few good hours of quality time each day, I look forward to seeing him at night.

Anyway, here is our setup now... notice Tyson's little head on the big bed.

2 comments:

Meg Boyd said...

Too Cute! When is comes to parenting I think doing what works for you is right...you love your little guy and needs to be near you so it works just fine...looks like a slumber party. Look at it this was too Lucas is already sleeping in a big boy bed ;-)

Sarah said...

There's nothing wrong with co-sleeping... We would love for Laiq to sleep with us sometimes but he's been "trained" so well that he just doesn't want anything to do with sleeping in our bed. Wwe try bringing him over in the middle of the night to satisfy our own selfish cuddling desires but the second we lay him down he's awake and wants to play. (By the way Lucas' pj's are adorable... Laiq has the same ones!)