Monday, February 16, 2009

Postponed Valentine's Day

A few hours after my post on 2/13 I came down with food poisoning - yuck! For 24 hours the thought of the last thing I ate made me sick. It was so hard to be sick with two kids. And to make it worse, Lucas usually has to be woken up at 7:45, but he decided to get up at 5:30am on Saturday morning. So all day I was sick, but still had to nurse Ellen, and Jeff had to take care of me and play with Lucas on only 6 hours of sleep. By mid afternoon we were exhausted and had to reach out for help. I moan and groan a lot because we don't have any family in town, but I suddenly realized that we DO! I immediately picked up the phone and called Jill to see if Jeff and Lucas could come hang out there for the evening. It would give Jeff a break because Lucas would play with Max and Ben and of course would leave me with a quiet house (remember that Ellen is the easiest baby on the planet, so she was not a problem). Jill was amazing. She insisted that we pack a bag for Lucas and let him spend the night. I was so sick that I didn't even let myself feel bad for sending my little boy off, I just accepted. When I told Lucas that he was going to have a sleepover with Max and Ben he was SO excited! He must have said 100 times - "when we going to Max and Ben's?" I told him that we needed to pack his bag, so he grabbed his little Lucas bag that Jenn got him and started packing. When I inspected his bag all I found was one roll of toilet paper. Haha. Anyway, he ended up spending the night and LOVED it. Mike and Jill made a pallet for the boys next to their bed, but Lucas and Ben were goofing off, so they moved Lucas to their bed. Jill said that Lucas curled up next to Mike and fell asleep quickly. Jeff and I got there at 10am the next morning to pick him up and he hardly acknowledged us! He was having breakfast and then he hopped down and ran away with Max and Ben. Jill invited us to hang out there all day and have dinner, so we did. The boys rode on the motorized vehicles in their col-da-sac and had a great time. It was not what I had planned AT ALL for Valentine's Day weekend, but it turned out okay. And we are SO THANKFUL for Mike and Jill's help!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shan, I'm so happy that you asked for help. You cannot do everything - especially when you are sickl Love you!

Holly said...

Oh Shanna, I'm sorry you were so sick! That's the worst. I am glad it worked out as well as it did... I want to take a bubble bath like the one in your picture! :)

Frances Katrin said...

What a great story! Children need other children and parents benefit! Awesome. Sorry you were sick. Glad this became the solution.