Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Baby Lucas and Mr. Chef

This is what Sophie, our nanny's daughter, calls Lucas and Jeff. She is a sweet little 3yr old that comes to work with her mommy every day. Her mommy's name is Kristen. Kristen is the 2nd amazing nanny that our family has been blessed with this year. It was like it was meant to be. I started looking for a full time nanny around Thanksgiving of last year, thinking that was plenty of time. I emailed with several people, interviewed a few, and even turned two down...so over Christmas vacation we had no clue who would be watching Lucas when I started work just a few days later.

Lucas's Kindermusik teacher said she knew another Kindermusik teacher that may be interested in becoming a nanny so that she could spend more time with her daughter. I originally wasn't open to another child being in the house, but the more I thought about it the better it sounded. I figured it would be great for Lucas to have someone to play with and look up to, and it would give the nanny something to do during the three hours a day that Lucas is sleeping.

I called Kristen to introduce myself and she said that she was not planning on quitting her current job as a KM teacher until the summer. I told her that I'd keep her # and call her in the summer if I was in need of someone. A few days later I interviewed yet another young girl not capable of being alone with my baby, and was desperate. I called Kristen back and asked her if she'd reconsidered. A few days later we hired her!

Today was the longest amount of time that I have been away from Lucas (8 hours), and I was completely at ease and comfortable with having him with Kristen (and Sophie). She says that Lucas is a really easy and agreeable baby (haha). I think he must be entertained by Sophie. For the past two days he had played for 4 hours in the morning and then crashed for a 2.5 hour nap when he couldn't stay awake to play for any longer.

I told Kristen today that we couldn't be happier with the situation and that I wanted to make sure that she was always happy. She said that it's also been a blessing for her and that Sophie confirmed that last night by saying, "Mommy, we had a great day today." :-)

No comments: