Sunday, August 31, 2008

Nursery Evolution

A few months ago my sister was working on her nursery and kept asking when I was going to work on mine. I was busy working on Lucas's big boy room and told her that we had a crib and Lucas's old bedding, which was green, and I was just planning on throwing in a pink blanket or two to make it girly. This attitude lasted about 30 seconds after we finished Lucas's room. After that 30 seconds I became a nursery obsessed lady that my husband has been very patient with : )
We never really got Lucas's room right. We had an idea in our heads, but it just never really clicked. When we moved into this house we just let it be because we knew we'd make his next room really nice for him. Still, even though I didn't love the furniture, I was being practical before I became obsessed and figured we'd just deal with the "not-so-great" room for another 2 years. Then I got this idea that I would sell the old furniture on Craigslist and try to replace it with the same am out of money. I wanted to go from three pieces of furniture to two pieces, so it seemed possible. The current furniture was natural in color and I wanted off-white to match the trim in our house. The same day I decided that I saw that they EXACTLY what I had imagined on clearance at Target. Yay! Long story short, none of the stores in our area had the furniture in stock. I could get the pieces on-line, but they were original priced and shipping was outrageous. Every morning for two weeks I called the three local stores to see if they had gotten anymore in stock. One morning I got lucky and found one crib. Jeff dropped everything (because he knew his pregnant wife was obsessed and he didn't have a choice) and got the crib for me. For the next month I made the calls for the dresser/changing table. We finally ended up getting it on-line and paying the shipping... but we love it and don't regret it.
My vision was light pink to go with our dark brown and cream paint. Since I was still somewhat in practical mode, I changed my mind when I saw that the dark pink bedding at P*ttery Barn Kids was really on sale. That was a lucky break because the dark pink really popped against the dark brown walls. The next step was to get a rug. When Sandy was here we decided on a 8 foot round dark pink rug. I couldn't wait for it to arrive, but was SOOOO disappointed when I saw it in the room. It looked so bad with the bedding. Jeff and I hated it. The next night after dinner we drove 30 min to the other store on the other side of town to pick up a lighter pink rug that was on sale. It looked a little better with the bedding, but it didn't pop like the other rug against the dark brown paint and it looked a little too country for our taste. Jeff had a great idea - change the bedding! Over the next couple of days we finally got it right. I found a really fun mobile and lamp first and a "circle" theme evolved. Oh, and once we changed the bedding we LOVED the circle rug.
I still couldn't get the bedding right, so decided to just go with white and use color other places in the room, but then I found some cream sheets with a modern design on them. There is a white bed skirt on their now, but I'm thinking a dark brown may look better. I couldn't find a great bumper, but realized that I can't tie it on the back side of the bed anyway, so we'll just go without. I like the clean look anyway.
It's not completely finished. We have 4 walls that need decoration. I'm thinking monogram, picture frames, picture and mirror. I'm going to shift gears and spend time on washing her clothes and putting them away. Hopefully the accessories will be easier than the rest of the room was...
View of room from the doorway.

View of bed from doorway.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shan the room looks GREAT! I think a dark pink skirt would look good. Have you tried that? I'm not there to see it in person so I can't really tell. I really like the rug and that color is so girly! THe crib and dresser are nice too.

Meg Boyd said...

It looks awesome... I love the room. You always choose such nice colors!