Sunday, September 13, 2009

Our Sweet Little Preschooler

Jeff and I are so proud of Lucas. He made the transition from his first school to his preschool so well. I think it helped that all of his friends and his cousin Max were talking about starting their new schools and meeting their teachers. It just seemed to him like that was what was supposed to happen.
He seems to like his two teachers, Ms. Rosemary and Ms. Jane. He calls Ms. Rosemary "Roseberry" - hehe. For the past 5 days or so we have walked him into the school, but last Friday when I took him he said that he wanted to hold Ms. Penny's (the director) hand and walk in with the other children. Ms. Penny was in the carpool lane and I explained how it works to him, so I think we'll try that today. For practice, he walked in with Ms. Penny last week. It was so sweet seeing him walk in with her and put his stuff away by himself. Then I saw Ms. Rosemary come out to greet him and he kind of strutted into the classroom with her.
When we pick him up he is sitting outside with his class, his teachers, and the children from the other classes. Three times so far Ms. Jane has told us how helpful and kind Lucas behaves at school. She said one day on the playground a child stepped on his sand castle and he said, "Please don't do that again!" And when it's time to clean up in the classroom she said that Lucas asks her, "May I help you, Ms. Jane?" On Thursday when we picked him up he fell down and Ms. Jane told him that he had to get better soon because he was her best helper : ) Jeff and I don't take much credit for this - Mrs. Xenia and Mr. Len from his Montessori school taught him how good it feels to be polite and clean up after yourself (and he does it better around other caregivers at this point).
After Lucas tripped over his huge book bag last week we went to Target to get him a smaller one. I'm a dummy and didn't know that they made smaller ones when we let him pick out this yellow one. We found a super cute, kind of hip one for him and packed it with his stuff for the next day of school. However, when it was time to go to school the next day he transferred all of the stuff back to the yellow one and said that he was a BIG BOY and needed the big book bag... and apparently it also keeps his back warm... oh well.
Oh yes, I forgot my favorite part of this story. On the way to Target to get his small book bag he told me that we needed to go shopping and buy some new clothes. He has never shown any interest in clothes, so I was surprised. When I asked him what he meant he said he needed a new Spiderman shirt because his yellow one is too big. He then told me that another child at school had a cool Spiderman shirt. So we got this one and he sported it the next day...

And one day last week we had our first cool morning. It wasn't THAT cool, but Lucas insisted on wearing his jacked zipped all the way up. And then he insisted on closing his eyes for the picture....

But then we took a picture with the camera timer on and I got a good smile from my sweet guy....

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sweet baby! He's so cute Shan!

Kelly said...

So cute!! I love his fashion-sense- so stylish!