Thursday, December 22, 2005

Braxton Hicks Contractions

We had our first Braxton Hicks contraction this week. I usually do about 25 min of walking on the treadmill, but on Tuesday I did 10 minutes at 4 different cardio machines. As we were cooking dinner I told Jeff that my stomach felt like it had a bowling ball in it and it was really tight. I felt like I had to hold it up with my hands.

I didn't know that it was Braxton Hicks until the next day when a friend told me. I thought that it was a sign from my body that I had done to much at the gym that night, but 2 other friends that ran and did pilates throughout pregnancy told me that they would usually get them when they exercised. I'll still take it as a sign and slow down a little.

The books say that these start as early as 6wks, but you don't usually feel them until a little halfway into the pregnancy, which is exactly where we are. It's exciting to think that we are far enough along to feel these "practice contractions".

No comments: