Thursday, December 14, 2006

Updates without pictures...

I have a few things I want to record on the blog, but haven't been able to capture pictures of yet.

1) Sign for milk: The sign for milk is to open and close your fist, like your milking a cow. Lucas has been making this sign for the past week or so, but I don't think it means "milk" because he doesn't seem interested when I offer milk. I think, to him, it means "mommy", "pick me up", or something comforting like that. He does it when he wakes up from a nap and is standing in his crib and he did it last weekend when I had a 12 yr old neighbor girl over to help me watch him while I cleaned the house. Whenever I would leave the room she said he would do that sign. The point is communication, not getting the signs right, so this is good...we just have to figure out what he thinks it means.

2) Science nerd like his Dad: Lucas has discovered gravity. I have about 10 pacifiers in his crib and several small stuffed animals to keep him entertained. Before he falls asleep he stands up in his crib and slowly bends down and picks up each animal, one by one, holds them over the edge of the crib and opens his hand and watches them fall to the ground. Also, we have an aquarium toy in his crib that has levers and knobs for him to play with, but he plays with the "adult switches" on the back that allow you to adjust the volume and change the song. I sit by his crib while he goes to sleep and it's so cool to watch his eyes and expressions as he figures these things out.

3) What Lucas is eating now: It took me a while to get used to feeding Lucas solids 3 times a day, but we're in a groove now. He gets 2 tablespoons of oatmeal at each meal (for the iron), usually mixed with a little fruit juice for flavor. He also gets a jar of a veggie or a fruit, and then a few bites of the other if he is still hungry. In the mornings I've been giving him an egg yolk omlet (actually, I have a picture of this). The other "real food" that he's eating is bread, veggies off of our plate, cheese, and I'm going to introduce him to tofu and yogurt this week. I started off making all of his food, but stopped once we went to Memphis and I realized how easy jar food is.... Plus, I sent Jeff to the store with a list the other day and he said the best part of his trip was picking out Lucas's little baby meals for the week :-) Lucas doesn't like to sit still long enough to eat, so I have figured out how to put things on his tray (spoons, cups, lids, etc) and when he goes to put them in his mouth I sneak the spoon full of food in first. He doesn't seem to mind. He's still nursing about 3-4 times a day and I'm assuming he's getting around 20 oz a day.

First veggie egg yolk omlet...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So cool! Lily thinks the sign for milk just means "drink" because she does it when she wants to nurse and while she's eating, if she wants some water. She also has a bizarre sign where she holds her arm up to her head (we call it the "oh my!" pose). We have NO IDEA what it means, but clearly means something to her :) Isn't it amazing to watch them try and communicate??