Sunday, February 03, 2008

All or Nothing

This probably seems kind of silly since I just posted about Elmo yesterday, but we decided last night that Lucas doesn't need to watch anymore t.v. for a while. Just like everything else with our kiddo, he's "very" into anything that interests him. On Saturday we thought it would be fun to introduce him to Nemo. He loved it and I think would watch it 24/7. I felt horrible on Saturday night because I felt like he had wanted to watch t.v. all day and I leaned on it because I had so much to do around the house. We did make two trips to the park yesterday, so he did something other than watch t.v., but when we were home he was asking for it to be turned on. Jeff and I discussed limiting it to a certain amount of time per day, but he's not old enough to understand that yet and will just get mad when we say no, so we just said we'd stop it all together. All of Lucas's toys are in the family room and he stays at our house with a nanny all day, so we have a different situation because he CAN watch t.v. all day. I know lots of mommies that only watch a couple of shows on the weekend, which sounds nice, but Lucas doesn't know what a weekend is yet : )

To help us with our new challenge, we decided to get out of the house this morning and have breakfast at our favorite little coffee shop (well, my favorite - Jeff hates coffee). After that we played at home for a little bit and then went to a high school that is close by and ran around their track. Part of Jeff's training is to know his time for a mile and a 1/2, so we took turns doing this and then ran some 400s (1 lap around) to see what our time was for those. Lucas had a blast playing on the bleachers and throwing around some tennis balls. The weather is 60 degrees today, so we picked a great day to start our new rule of no t.v. He's napping now, but when he wakes up I think we'll try and stay outside until dinner time...

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shan,
I think that this is a good idea. Yes, T.V. can teach the little ones a lot of really good things, but its nothing like the "real world". I think that you and Jeff are great parents. So, don't worry about it too much.

Jennifer said...

Hey- what's up with the Georgia fan comment? Are you talking about the orange shirt? Tyrus is a Dawg fan ALL THE WAY!
P.S. He loves the music you got him! Does Lucas still like his blanket?

Kelly said...

Shanna - Good for you! TV is a wonderful thing, but it's hard for little ones to limit themselves, and like you said, it's all or nothing :) I'm sure in a couple of days none of you will miss it, you'll just appreciate the extra play time.

PS. Since we don't turn the TV on when Lily's awake, after bedtime is an extra special treat for me too :)