Sunday, February 03, 2008

Mini Word Explosion

I've been told that girls develop speech faster than boys, so I haven't been alarmed when I read on all of Lucas's girlfriends' blogs how they are saying so many words and even sentences. I know Lucas will get there in his own time, but I must admit that this is the only phase that I'd give him a little nudge through if I could. He knows what he wants but can't always tell us, which frustrates him... and then us when he gets upset.

I may see a tiny light at the end of the tunnel. Just in the past few days Lucas has started saying many more words. For a while now he has tried to repeat a word if we ask him to, but this week he has started copying us without being prompted. For example, I was yelling for Tyson by his nickname, shih-tzu, and Lucas started yelling "she-zoo" as loud as he could. Then yesterday he got stuck in some bushes and he kept repeating "stuck, stuck" after I told him he was going to get stuck. Jeff and I have to watch our mouths now!

Two other cute things he is saying are "this" and "too". Last night we were asking him what he wanted for dinner and he pulled a frozen pizza out of the freezer, handed it to us, and said "dis, dis". And if he wants us to do something with him he will point to where he wants us and say "too" - like "mama do it too".

Something else interesting to note as that he will try and repeat any word that I ask him too, but when I ask him to repeat one of the words that he signs he does the sign and won't say it. He did finally start saying "help" this week, which is huge since he always wants us to help him do one thing or another.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Isn't it great how their communication develops? Ty does something new everyday. I wish that I could have been there when Lucas was saying "stuck, stuck". I would have laughed my butt off!