Thursday, October 21, 2010

Have you had your collards today?

Ellen has! My friend, Marie, told me about green smoothies last year and I couldn't believe that I hadn't figured that out on my own. All you do is throw different fruits, fresh and/or frozen into the blender and add something green. Spinach is what we usually use, but today we used collards. For the most part, the smoothies have a sweet taste that masks any healthy taste that you'd expect from drinking a green drink. Ellen will drink one each morning, but Lucas is old enough to know that drinking something green seems kind of gross... hopefully he'll grow out of that one day.

1 comment:

Me said...

This is so great! I have started making smoothies for the kids now, but they are not green. I use about a cup of spinach, a few blueberries (antioxidant boost), a few strawberries, and half a banana. Not enough spinach? I think that it would be good for me to introduce the "green" concept around Halloween time.