Friday, November 18, 2005

The Attic

With Baby Schrades slated to take over our current guestroom in the next few months, we decided it was time to finish our attic. We've wanted to do this since we moved in three years ago, but have been delaying it for various reasons. And so, while the long, symmetrical shape and mancave-like feel of the attic would be prefect for a home theater, it's going to have to serve as our new guestroom.




I originally wanted to subcontract all of the work myself. Since our unorganized builder accidentally did all of the HVAC, electrical, and insulation work before we moved in, the room just needs sheetrock, phone and cable, trim work, and carpet. I tried calling some electricians to give me an estimate on adding some new lights. Of the 5 that I called, zero called me back. Same thing with cable and phone installation. Either these guys are doing such good business that they don't have time for my small attic job, or they are just completely unreliable. Probably a little of both. In any case, I just decided to save the the time and the trouble and hire a licensed general contractor to do the work. Hopefully, good ole Rod Oberlin over at Oberlin Construction will do things right.

When the attic is complete, probably in the next month, we'll be able to move the guestroom furniture up there and start on Baby Schradeses's nursery. I think Shanna might have a couple of ideas on that considering she's been talking about it nonstop for the last couple of weeks. And, I know one thing for sure... I will be the lone subcontractor on that job.

Until next time...

No comments: