Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Shot or No Shot?

Jeff and I have almost decided to not get the flu shot this year. We actually never get it, but this year we have to reconsider because of the baby. Some people say that you should get it because it's recommended and protects the baby, and some say that it contains thimerosal (a mercury-containing compound) and could be harmful to the baby.

The CDC says that "because pregnant women are at an increased risk for flu related complications and because a substantial safety margin has been incorporated into the health guidance values for mercury exposure, the benefit of the flu vaccine outweighs the potential risk for thimerosal". So basically they are saying that it's less risky to take the shot because you might get sick. But I say that if you take the shot then you have definitely assumed the risk of any side effect from thimerosal (not that I know of any documented side effects). So you're gambling either way...one in that they won't discover some adverse side effect to thimerosal in 20 years by taking it, or that you'll get very sick by not taking it.

The reason it's a tough decision for us is because we are going to try for an unmedicated delivery, so why would we inject medicine now if we're going to avoid it later? I thought that my midwife of all people would be supportive of a decision not to get it, so I was surprised yesterday at our visit. We told her that we weren't getting the shot and she was surprised. She said that it is recommended by some academy of physicians and the CDC, but then she smiled and said she wasn't one to get the flu shot when she was pregnant either. I think she has to tell me what's recommended, so she was vague. IBM is getting more shipments of the shot in a few weeks, so we have some time to weigh our options...

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I look at it this way..........Seems to me that this "flu shot" has just become popular in these last few years. When our parents were born and when we were born no one took them and we are all just fine. ~Just my opinion. Oh Yeah! And Goodluck with that no medication delivery......

Johnny & Erin Conklin said...

Shanna,
I did get the flu shot and had no side effects whatsoever except a sore arm (which was gone in 2 days). Knowing how sick I was with just a cold a few weeks ago and having a depressed immune system with Baby Conklin on the way, I thought the flu would be excrutiating, especially since you really aren't supposed to take medicine when you're sick. So, for me the benefits outweighed the risks. The flu seems to have gotten stronger in the past few years (hence, the more attention to the flu shot I guess). I just decided I didn't want to take any chances. Hope this helps. :) Good luck with the decision. Whatever you decide will be the right one for you.
--Erin

Brittain... said...

Well, I must put my two cents in on this one. I have gotten the flu shot every year for the past 6 years. Since then I have not had the flu once, knock on wood. After much coinsideration I got the flu shot when I was pregnant too. I felt the risks of becoming febrile or dehydrated due to the flu outweighed the risks of the actual shot. Good Luck!