Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Bradley Birth - Class #3

Last night's class focused on pregnancy and controversial issues surrounding pregnancy. Laura showed us diagrams that illustrated the changes that the female body goes through, with the idea being that it's helpful for the coach to be aware of the changes. She also showed us a video that showed us what the fetus looks like from conception through five months. They stopped at five months because they said that the baby is done developing at that point and just grows bigger through the end of the pregnancy. So Baby Schrades is developed! Wow, that's neat.

The controversial issues that we covered were: Circumcision, IV's during labor, Episiotomy, Ultrasounds, and Vaccinations.

The issue with vaccinations is that some parents choose to spread out the time in which the babies get vaccinated. Laura, for example, chose to get a couple of vaccines each month instead of six at one time. Jeff and I haven't discussed our plans yet....

Relaxation Method: Each week we practice a form of relaxation at the end of class and then we have to practice as "homework" over the next week. Last night's class we practiced massages. (Jeff said he wouldn't have been surprised if I had paid the teacher to suggest this). So Jeff gave my hands a massage during class and his homework is to give me two massages over the next week without me asking. I'm lucky.

Coach's Tip: During labor, know the mood of your wife and adjust your mood accordingly. For example, if I'm laughing and joking then so should Jeff, but if I get serious then Jeff should too.

Next week's topic is The Coach's Role...I'm looking forward to it already.

No comments: