Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Sciatic Nerve

Apparently lower back pain due to pressure on the sciatic nerve is common during pregnancy. I feel much better knowing this. Two days ago it hurt so bad when I turned a certain way that it was hard to stand. At that time I didn't know what the pain was and I had a breakdown because in about two seconds my life played out before me: no more exercise, impossible delivery, back surgery and eventually unable to walk.

Luckily the world wide web was there to save the day:

"The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body, providing sensory and motor function to the lower extremities. This nerve provides sensation to the back of the thigh, lower part of the leg and the sole of the foot. Sciatic nerve pain is a periodic severe pain that occurs throughout your legs. During pregnancy, the sciatic nerve runs under your uterus to your legs. The cause of sciatic nerve pain is thought to be associated with pressure on the nerve caused by the developing baby."

I also called our midwife and she said it's very common and may get better before delivery, but may not. Warm baths and heat are the way to treat it. I'm looking forward to relaxing every night after work trying these two healing methods....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shanna, I got severe hip pain in the middle of my pregnancy and it lasted for about a week or two. I was wobbling side to side when I wasn't even big enough to wobble for the main reason - baby weight. ha ha! I hope your sciatic nerve pain goes away soon......