Friday, January 06, 2006

Flinstones

I read a book recently called Fantastic Voyage: Live Long Enough to Live Forever, written by Ray Kurzweil and Terry Grossman, MD. The premise of the book is that, in the upcoming decades, advances in biotechnology and later, nanotechnology, will dramatically increase the average life span of humans. Some of the ideas and predictions seem like crazy science fiction, but Ray Kurzweil has a record of uncanny technology forecasting and he's definitely smarter than I am.

The authors also discuss how nutrition affects the body and can prevent disease. Both of the authors participate in what they call "aggressive supplementation" (Ray Kurzweil takes 250 supplements a day), which brings me to the point of my bloggy blog. At the end of the book, the authors list out their recommended intake of various essential vitamins and nutrients as well as a handful of "super-nutrients" like coenzyme 10 and alpha lipoic acid. Their recommended values are generally way higher than the FDA's RDAs.

So I compared their recommendations to what I was typically getting with my diet and daily Centrum multivitamin (the Dodge Stratus of multivitamins) and saw that I was getting way less than what was recommended for just about every nutrient. I did some research and found about five supplements that I have been taking for about a week now. I really have noticed a significant increase in my energy and I think it's because I'm getting more vitamin B, but I could be wrong.

Anyways, I'll keep you posted on my little experiment. Until next time..

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can't wait to go get this book. you'll have to keep me posted on what you think about it.
i can't wait to see pictures of the baby! have yall had any taken lately? if so, can you upload the ultrasound pics?

Shanna from BabySchrades said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.