Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Bradley Birth - Class #5

We started class last night with the ladies reminding their husbands where they tense up first and where they like to get massaged. Jeff and I have this down since I am constantly asking him for shoulder rubs. Next we watched a video of a water birth, which is not really an option in NC if you're delivering in a hospital, but it was still good to see. It really helps to see a video each week so that we know what to expect. The babies look so different when they are first born!

The topic of the night was the first stage of labor. I didn't know this before pregnancy, but there are three stages of labor, with the first stage being everything up until the mother begins pushing (stage 2). We learned that the average first stage labor for a new mom is 15-17 hours. We also learned that you can stay at home during most of this stage, only going to the hospital when the contractions get to a certain point. This may seem odd, but Laura said if you go to the hospital too early they will just send you home.

Laura then went over how we will probably feel emotionally and physically during this time, which is hard to relate to at this stage of the game, but I'm sure we'll be glad someone told us what to expect. For example, at first you're really excited, then you get serious and concentrate, and then you say you can't do it....which ironically means you're almost done.

Jeff's coach's tip was if I say that I can't do it anymore to tell me that I can do it and I am doing it. These tips seem pretty cheesy now, but I guess encouragement is good during labor.

Next week we cover the second stage of labor....

No comments: