Friday, January 20, 2006

Walkin in Memphis

Shanna and I are in Memphis this weekend for a high school friend's wedding. We woke up at 3 AM this morning to catch our flight so my blog might be a little incoherent. Also, sorry I neglected my blogging duties last week. I have no excuse. No single topic today, just a few thoughts:

Flying
I know it's cliche to harp on the inconviences of airline travel, but seriously, flying blows. We got selected for extra screening in the security line. They had to check our bags for explosives residue and pat us down for lethal weapons (how does Chuck Norris get his fists on the plane?). But at least when you get on the plane, the seats are really comfortable and you can relax. Actually, I can't relax until after takeoff when you're allowed to tilt the seat back that extra 1.5 cm. Sometimes I wake up and think I'm in my own bed.

Also, we had a layover in Atlanta and were dropped off in the E terminal. I was able to revisit the Pizza Hut Express in the food court that landed me in food poisoned hell this same week last year coming back from the Grand Canyon. To my surprise people were actually ordering food. Oh, if they only knew...

Speaking of...

The Grand Canyon
A year ago this week five friends and I went to Arizona and hiked the Grand Canyon. It was a grueling 3 days that left us completely exhausted and sore, but it was well worth the pain. Seeing the Grand Canyon from the rim is amazing enough, but hiking down to the river and back gives you an even greater appreciation of its size and grandeur.

Bradley Class
The Bradley Class is going well and is so informative. The more you learn about everything that goes on during pregnancy, the more amazing it becomes. I think it's safe to say that pregnancy and birth are the most fascinating events in nature. Next week's lesson is on the "coach's" role. I better get my notebook ready. So far, no birth video, but I'm still nervous.

Xin Hau
I got a new piano teacher last week. While I liked my old teacher, he cancelled lessons too often to really get anything going. Xin Hau is a senior at Duke. She took lessons from 6 years old through high school graduation and even won some amateur competitions. I think she's studying psychology and neuroscience. However, I think she is facing her biggest challenge yet trying to teach me piano.

American Idol
What can I say, I like American Idol. For all its flaws and despite the fact that Paula Abdul is a massive tool, American Idol has some great moments. Like when the kid who lives on a farm in a town of four in Wyoming comes in to audition. He's so nervous that he can't remember the name of the song that he's going to sing. But to everyone's surprise he has a good voice. So the judges see his potential and send him to Hollywood. The kid was so excited. That was some good TV. Or maybe I'm a sucker.

Until next time...

No comments: