Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Bradley Birth - Class #11

There are nine couples in our Bradley class. As of last night, one couple that is due in 3wks was as the hospital due to high b/p, one couple was having mild contractions every 10 min (during class), and one couple is scheduled for a c-section this Thursday due to a breech baby. Thirty percent of our class going into labor makes us realize how close we are to meeting Baby Schrades.

We had a lady come to class last night and share her birth story with us and show us her birth video. It was interesting to see how she focused inwardly during the labor and almost seemed like a different person than the person we met last night. She was very focused and had a great birth experience.

After that we did a relaxation exercise where we held ice in our hand, or to our wrist for more pain, for 60 seconds. Since a contraction is about 60 seconds long, we practiced ways to reduce the pain that the ice was causing, in hopes that the same strategy will work during a contraction. While I held the ice, Jeff rubbed my shoulders and I breathed in through my nose, deep into my belly, and out through my mouth. The breathing really did work to relax me and take my mind off of the pain caused by the ice. For those that have had babies, I'm sure that a little piece of ice doesn't compare to labor pains, but it seems like a good practice technique.

I really liked one thing that Laura read to us last night: "If you could hold this baby in your arms today for one hour, get to know him, and them put him back inside, there is nothing you wouldn't do for that baby - no job too hard, no pain too intense. If you knew it was for the good of your baby...you could do anything."

Next week is our last class....so I guess we'll be ready!

No comments: