Monday, December 24, 2007

Mama Got Her Wish

Thank goodness I posted about this cute little shirt before SaSa arrived. She saw the post and came ready to give me a few nights of good sleep...
Lucas's pattern now is that he goes to bed around 9pm and then wakes up at 1am, 3am and 5am... or something like that... I quit looking at the clock weeks ago because it just stressed me out. We got into a good routine where I'd go to bed in our bed and then go into his room at 1am for the rest of the night (for a few weeks I would go back to our bed every time, but that got exhausting). Sandy and Jeff had to talk me into letting them help the first night, but since then I look forward to going to bed and cuddling up for 8 hours of peaceful sleep. I have been sleeping upstairs in the guest room and Jeff and Sandy have been sleeping downstairs. When Lucas wakes up they go in and soothe him in 20 min shifts. The first night he woke up at 1am and was up for about an hour. He cried a little, but was okay if they rocked him. He woke up a few hours later, but went back to sleep quickly when Jeff came in and laid with him. Sandy and Jeff just kept saying, "Mama is sleeping. She needs her rest." Sandy said that he would call for me at first, but when she went in for her shift he would call for "da-DA!". The second night of this was a little worse, but the third night Lucas really challenged them. Lucas was replacing the nursing crutch with rocking in the rocking chair and when they tried to put him in the bed he would wake up and point back to the chair. They said they must have done this over 10 times and they finally told him that they were going to lie in the bed and he could come lie down next to them. He threw a fit and banged on the door for an hour before falling asleep next to Jeff. We'll see what tonight brings, but it seems that his will gets stronger each night, so our expectations are low. Lucas is out to prove everyone wrong that tells us that it takes 3 hard nights to get your baby to sleep.
At the very least I have gotten 4 great nights of sleep and feel like a new person. I'm so thankful to have such a wonderful mother-in-law. Sandy, thank you!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

What a great mother-in-law! You owe her big! :)

Lisa said...

Shanna, i know your pain. Alyssa has never been a good sleeper. She goes to bed around 9pm also only to cry for hours at a time then finally goes to sleep only to wake up around 2 or so. I can't remember when I actually slpet 8 hours straight.Cause that one good night when they do sleep youcan't becuase you think something is wrong and they are sick or something.