Thursday, March 06, 2008

Mothers Morning Out

After much discussion, we signed Lucas up for Mothers Morning Out this week. He will begin at the end of June and will go four days a week. It's basically just a church daycare. The hours will be from 9:30-1:30 Mon - Thurs. His friend Lucas goes there and his parents really like it. When I visited I noted that it was filled with love and fun. It's not the newest and most up-to-date, but it seemed like the people there were very caring.

We debated between this and a Montessori school that his friend Katrin goes to. We LOVED that school, but the cons were that it's all day and it's about 20 min away. I'm not ready for Lucas to be gone all day yet, and since we don't have to leave the house to go to work it doesn't seem like a great fit at this point. Maybe when he's 3 or 4. I love the Montessori philosophy.

Jeff and I are planning to sign up for the nursery at our gym in April and start taking Lucas there for 30 min at a time. Hopefully this will make the transition to "school" a little easier for him.

Why are we doing this when he's only 2? Our doctor said that he doesn't need the social interaction that a school provides until he's 3. Well Kate has to leave us in summer/fall and I really don't want to interview for another nanny. Our nannies have been great so far, but not Lucas needs a little more activity. He and Kate have a great time around here, but once or twice a week they go to the park or museum and I don't love the idea of not knowing exactly where he is when they are in the car. And then there are some days when he wants to watch too much t.v... although that seems to be passing. I actually think that I could do the nanny thing for another summer, but not another winter. It's tough when they can't go outside.

Anyway, we are excited about it and hopefully Lucas will love it. If not, we'll try something else.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

This will be hard at first, but I really think that you will learn to love it. Lucas will learn so much just interacting with kids. I can't wait to hear what you think!

Brittain... said...

He will love it! Mine started 3 mornings when they were 2 1/2. It was awesome! Now they go 4 mornings, and next year 5 mornings(for pre K)! I looked into lottery pre K but its all day and I thought that would be too much! Anyway you won't believe how much his vocabulary will grow the first couple of weeks he's there! But when you leave him the first time, don't look back, he will be fine.