Monday, May 19, 2008

Mis-er-able!

I have had a freaking stuffy nose going on 6 wks. There was a slight break in there, so I thought it might just be two different colds, but I'm starting to think it is pregnancy related. It turns out that "about 20 to 30 percent of pregnant women have congestion without having allergies or a viral infection like the common cold. This condition even has a name: rhinitis of pregnancy. It can start as early as your second month and last until you have your baby or even a few weeks afterward.Higher amounts of estrogen during pregnancy can contribute to swelling in the mucous membranes lining the nose and even cause you to make more mucus. What's more, the amount of blood in your body increases and your blood vessels expand during pregnancy, which can lead to swollen nasal membranes as well."

Yuck, yuck, yuck and more yuck. I hate stuffy noses and the stuff that goes along with it. I heard little girls were harder on their mommies during pregnancy - now I believe it.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Yuck is right - I had that fun pregnancy-stuffy-nose-thing the whole time I was pregnant with Blair. I feel your pain - hope you feel better soon!

Kristen said...

I am also experiencing the extreme stuffy nose and junk in the throat thing with this pregnancy. I didn't know it had a name, but another friend of mine calls it the "never-ending pregnancy cold". We joke that it lasts the entire time and we both long for the day when we can breathe through our noses again. It's so funny how much our bodies change during pregnancy. I tried a saline nasal rinse which helped and also heard that a nettie pot (available at Whole Foods) can help relieve the symptoms. Good Luck!

Frances Katrin said...

I had that symptom too..... and constant nausea too for the entire pregnancy. Little girls make harder pregnancies and harder teenagers. Boys are easy pregnancies and easy teenagers. But little girls get the cutest outfits.