Monday, May 05, 2008

Pop

My grandfather, Pop, passed away today. He had been in the hospital for about a week with a blood infection. It got the best of him when a blood clot got loose and caused a fatal heart attack. He was only 72 years old, so it's very unfortunate and sad.

A lot of my childhood memories include Pop. He and Mom used to go to a lot of my softball games and we would spend just about every weekend out on the lake with them. We would always order a bucket of KFC and stay out until dark.

I can see him in Lucas when Lucas smiles with his eyes but keeps his mouth closed... his Pop smirk that he's had since he was an infant.

The silver lining is that he was suffering from other ailments and would have probably had to go into a nursing home if and when they released him from the hospital. He had made it clear that he didn't want that. Also, he was pretty sick for about a week, but the day before he died he was the best he had been in months and was talking to Mom very clearly... so I'm glad she had that day and I'm glad he felt better on his last day.

We love you and will miss you Pop!



6 comments:

Meg Boyd said...

Shanna- I am so sorry to hear this I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Lots of love,
Megan

Anonymous said...

Shan, we were so sorry to hear about Pop. We'll be thinking about you and your family.
Love,
Wendy

Anonymous said...

Shanna,
I'm so sorry to hear about Pop. I'll keep you and your family in my prayers.
Love,
Erin

Brittain... said...

I am so sorry to hear about your Pop. I will be thinking about all of you. bb

Kelly said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. We're thinking of you.

Kristen said...

Shanna,
I'm so sorry you had to lose someone so special. I will pray for you and your mom and family to feel peace and comfort while you are grieving. Love you!