Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Chalk, Gravel and Crushed Ice

That is what I'm craving.

I already knew that this was called Pica and figured it was due to the pregnancy, but my midwife confirmed it last week. She said she's heard of stranger cravings and if I really needed to that it wouldn't hurt me to take a bite of chalk. I didn't tell her about the ice because I figured it was just because I was hot, but I cannot get enough crushed ice! I laughed when I googled "pica" and saw this:

If you've installed an automated icemaker to satisfy your craving to eat ice, or if you're dining on actual mud pies - your body may be trying to tell you it needs iron...An appetite for nonfood items - such as ice, dirt, clay paste, starch, hair and refrigerator frost - is called pica...
"Pica is most often reported among pregnant women,"...


My iron was tested, so I'm not worried. Off to get more crushed ice... and maybe some dirt.

2 comments:

Meg Boyd said...

are you serious????? that is terrible!!! Have you really eaten dirt????? Don't let Lucas see you do that!

Ali said...

that is too funny! i hope you are craving some tastier things soon!