Sunday, September 14, 2008

Lucas's First Play Date Away from Home

Lucas has 9 friends at school and seems to like all of them about the same. At first he talked more about the older kids (3yrs +), but now he talks more often about the kids that are around his age (2yrs). I have met all of the parents and like all of them very much. There are three that I have particularly bonded with, mostly due to age and living in the same neighborhood (although Francis doesn't live in my neighborhood, but I've known her the longest and we have tons in common). The friends that we've seen the most lately are Lincoln and Ms. Kelly. They live about 2 miles away from us, so it's really easy.
Last weekend Lincoln came to our house to play from 9:30-12:30 and this weekend Lucas went to their house for the same time period. I know that Lucas really enjoys Lincoln and his parents, so I wasn't really worried about his first play date away from home (without mama), but I must admit that I was a tiny bit concerned. The little stinker showed me though. He barely stopped playing to tell me good-bye when I dropped him off. When we picked him up he was very excited to see us, but showed it in the form of playing like a silly monkey with Lincoln. I think he was excited that we were there, but would have preferred us to stay and play instead of take him home. He protested a little when we left, but was pretty much okay. When we got home however, Jeff and I looked in the backseat and his eyes were wide and his lips were almost trembling... his sad look. He was truly sad that he had to leave his friend's house and come home. Ahhh! It was bittersweet... I'm glad he had fun but not too happy that he'd rather be at someone else's house. I'm sure this is the first of many times that I feel like this over the next 20 years... (sigh).
Here are some pics of the kiddos at our house...

"Blincoln, move peas. Lucas turn!"

(Lucas had gotten his clothes dirty)

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Aww - that is bittersweet. I don't know whether to look forward to Blair's eventual play dates or not now! Glad he had so much fun, though. And how great that you've made friends with his friends' parents!