Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A Jog and A Bug


On Saturday we met our friend Jessi at Lake Johnson for a little jog of about 3 miles while SaSa and Lucas went for a stroll. Jessi and Jeff have signed up for a sprint triathlon in Wilmington at the end of September. Lucas and I participated in this event in 2005 (Lucas was in my belly), so we're just going to be cheering this year. I, however, do need some motivation and am considering signing up for a half marathon that will be held in Wilmington in November (Maybe I'll feel more pressure to do this now that I've blogged about it). The most I've ever run is 6 miles, so it will be a challenge. My friend Holly did a marathon a few years ago and trained using a program where you run/walk/run/walk, so it's not as hard on your body. I'll do this if I decide to enter the race.

Now for the bug portion of the post...

Notice the bright shirt Lucas was wearing in the first picture. Later that day, after Lucas was attacked by a bug (mosquito?), I read that mosquitoes like bright colors because it looks like a flower. Poor little Lucas was outside while we were planting some flowers and all of a sudden he started screaming. We stripped his clothes off immediately and found 14 bug bites!! Something got stuck in his shirt and went to town on his little baby skin. He took a long nap and the welts were gone when he woke up. That afternoon I was hesitant to let him go outside, but he loves it so much that I decided he could if he wore light color, long sleeves and long pants. I guess the downside of all of these trees that I love are the mosquitoes.

Does anyone have any suggestions for safe insect repellents for kids?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Shan,
They make that stuff for babies. Just go to the baby section of the store. I think I saw it at Target too.
love Jenn

AWC's Girls said...

Hi Shanna! Thanks for the comment on our page! The girls will be excited. I can't believe how big Lucas is getting! He is so cute. We have also used AVON products, all the way back to when we would spend summers in Houston (where the bugs are crazy). Here is a link to the kind I like, it has sunscreen and repellent together. Hope to see you next month!
http://shop.avon.com/shop/product.asp?newdept=&s=AV_GGL_NB&c=DigitalGrit&otc=children%20safe%20insect%20repellent&bnd=&pf_id=7895&level1_id=300&level2_id=303&pdept_id=344&dept_id=421