Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Shanda" is where I draw the line.

I really like my name, but when we were choosing a name for Lucas I made sure that we chose one that was easy to pronounce... especially since his last name is tricky (Schroeder sounds like shray-der).

Rarely, rarely, rarely does anyone get my name right. Maybe I speak to fast or have a southern draw. Not sure. You'd think the most common mispronunciation would be Shannon, but actually there is a tie between Shana (shay-na) and Shawna. I'm used to these and sometimes correct the person and sometimes not. The CORRECT way to pronounce my name is to have it ryhme with banana, hannah, or savannah.

Last night I was walking in our neighborhood and said hello to someone that I had met a few days ago. She responded with, "Hi Shanda!"

I immediately started thinking about this post :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha - I am so glad you posted this! I am certain Will & I have been referring to you as "shay-na". When we were introduced many months ago, I now don't remember what I heard exactly - but since we corresponded so much via email, I have created my own pronunciation based on viewing your name more than hearing it. :) I'll bet many people call you "shay-na schro-der". Rather than "sha-nah shray-der". :) My friend Mie is actually pronounced "mi-eyh", but I find that hard to say, so I end up calling her "mi-a". Anyhow, you will have to give a pronunciation lesson!

Shanna from BabySchrades said...

Ele, I bet you have problems with your name too! E-L-E is an original way to spell what sounds like "ellie". Now it's a double whammy because Will gets pulled in with people thinking he's Will Wells :-) You're right about shay-na schro-der. My maiden name was Johnson - so easy.