Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Baby Journal

March 14th, 2008
The day has finally arrived! I have been waiting to hear this baby's little heartbeat since the moment I knew that I was pregnant. The appointment was going to be even more fun because we were meeting with Kim, the midwife that helped deliver Lucas.

After waiting another 1/2 hour in the waiting room we were called back. I had to pee in the cup and Jeff waited in the hallway. When I came out of the bathroom I saw that he was talking to Dr. V, the doctor that delivered Lucas. How fun! Dr. V recognized us and asked how our baby was doing.. then I think he asked if we had a boy or a girl. What??? He doesn't remember? How could he forget OUR delivery? : ) Jeff asked him this and he said that he remembered the delivery, but never remembered if it was a boy or a girl. Oh well.

They took my blood pressure and it as good... 110/67. I had gained 4 lbs since before pregnancy (118 to 122).

It's funny how the 2nd pregnancy is different than the first. We spent most of the appointment talking to Kim about how she'd been doing and how she and Jeff we both training for triathlons. She examined me and did the u/s, but that lasted only about 5 min! Even though it was short, it was still amazing. She didn't have the volume up, so we didn't hear the h/b, but we got to see it. She said that I was measuring 9 wks, which surprised me because I had calculated that I was only 8wks pregnant. She said that insurance pays for an extensive u/s now at 13wks and that i should definitley do it. We said our good-byes and scheduled the next u/s for April 10th. The countdown begins...

March 10th, 2008
I debated all wknd about whether I should schedule the u/s for Monday morning, but figured we'd wait until the end of the week. This time is easier for us to sneak away from work and they would have my blood results back by then. I figure I'm lacking in calcium and iron since Lucas is still nursing, so I want to talk to them about that. Dang, I'm so impatient!

March 7th, 2008
Our first appointment! I was so excited to be starting this baby stuff over again. I love our OB practice and couldn't wait to see them again. Our excitement faded as we were reminded how we always have to wait at this place. 45 min after we arrived we were called back. Our excitemend faded even more as they told me that this was just the nurse visit where they take blood and tell me all about being pregnant. As the nurse told me what to expect I was thinking, "Seriously? Do you records not show that I just did this!!!"

At the advice of the lady that took by blood pressure, I told the nurse that I thought I was 7wks pregnant, but wasn't positive because my cycle wasn't normal yet. I told her that I thought I should get an u/s to make sure. She said that they actually do an u/s at this first visit, but they were short on staff and that I'd have to come back the next week. ugh!!!


March 5th, 2008
I feel better! It must have been a 24 hour bug because I feel normal again. Thank goodness!!!

March 4th, 2008
Oh my gosh, I am SO sick! I can't believe it. I thought this pregnancy was going to be smooth sailing like my first one. I described the way I felt to Jeff as the feeling you have after a night where you drank too much in college and said you would never drink again. Oh man, this kind of stinks.

March 1st, 2008
We are officially 6wks pregnant. I am feeling exactly like I did the first time I was pregnant! I am mildly nauseous, especially when I think about most foods. When it comes time to prepare dinner I often change what I was planning on cooking because it sounds gross. I swear I'm starting to show, but I'm pretty sure it's just bloating. I look normal in the morning and pregnant at the end of the day. I've gotten out the bella band, but haven't had to use it yet.

Feb 16th, 2008
Today we found out that we are pregnant! It was kind of a surprise since it happened so quickly. Here is the story...

It took me about 20 months to ovulate after having Lucas. We got pregnant two months later. We had always said we'd start trying when he was around two, and since we were able to a little earlier than two, we just went with that. On Feb 15th I was one day late, but had convinced myself that my body wasn't on a normal cycle yet and that I wasn't pregnant. In the meantime Jenn was also thinking she was pregnant, so we were talking about it a little bit. Feb 16th was on a Saturday and Lucas and I had a birthday party to go to. We were ready a little early, so I decided we'd run by Target and get a pregnancy test... and a latte if I wasn't pregnant. Once I bought the test I knew that I couldn't wait 3-4 hours to take it, so Lucas and I parked our buggy in front of the bathroom and went in to take the test. As the stick showed me that I was pregnant, Lucas sat on the baby changing table with his legs dangling. In shock, I told him that he was going to be a big brother and then we left and went to Lily's party.

I felt so many emotions... joy, excitement, shock, fear, anxiety...

At the party I reminded myself that I had to limit my sugar intake now, so as I nibbled on carrots I thought about how I'd tell Jeff. This was my opportunity to do something really neat to break the news to him! As it turned out, I am not that creative, but it worked out to be very special. Somehow Lucas went to bed before we ate dinner that night, so we got to sit down alone, which is so rare. I was still thinking of how I would tell him, but had figured that it wasn't fair to go more than 12 hours knowing without him. Jeff set it up by saying what a nice day we had had. I told him that it was a nice day but that I had something to make it even nicer. He looked at me with a puzzled look and I said, "yes, you know... come on... you know!" He was honestly confused and didn't know. He knew it was a possibility, but had shrugged it off as unlikely. All of a sudden his eyes got really wide and he said, "you're pregnant? no way!" (edited for the blog).

So that's how we found out about our sweet baby #2. We were kind of giddy the rest of the night as we talked about what we thought the gender was and what we thought we'd name that baby.

2 comments:

Maura said...

WOW!! I haven't read your blog in a while - CONGRATS!!! How very exciting!! Lucas is getting so big, and is so darn cute!!

Wendy said...

Congratulations Shanna! Brittain gave me your blog address so I'm trying to keep up - Lucas is precious and very big...and he sounds like quite a character.