Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A problem I didn't expect...

As I posted all last week, Lucas has transitioned amazingly into his new school. The problem that we are having is the transition OUT! I said yesterday how last week I thought that he was just tired and overwhelmed, but yesterday when I picked him up we had a very challenging* 1-2 hours. I don't think the problem is that he wants to stay at school because he is super excited to see me and is happy until we leave... hmmm, as I typing this I'm wondering if he DOES want to stay at school and is happy because school is even better when mama is there. Anyway, one thing that a friend pointed out is that maybe it is the 15 min car ride home that is getting us. He's had fun all day and then it gets better because mama arrives, but then I strap him in to his car seat - one of his least favorite places to be. But geez, he's a smart kid, doesn't he know that we are only going to be in the car for a short period of time? Another friend said that she read that kids often have this reaction when being picked up from daycare. The theory is that they have been on their best behavior all day and when they see their mother they just release all of their emotion onto her. I'm still chalking it up to being in a transition period, but after this week I don't know if I can say that anymore. I hope he works it out soon... I hate not knowing how to make him happy.

*challenging - bawling uncontrollably; asking for something, like a cracker, and then throwing it down and screaming when I hand it to him; collapsing on the floor in tears; and throwing toys on the floor out of frustration.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are having this issue and my daughter does not go to school. Her time is usually after her nap and the three hours until she goes to bed is very challenging.

Kelly said...

Hey Shanna, if it helps at all, we went through a two-week period like this with Lily as well, starting right after her birthday. I chalked it up to just being two. But that whole cracker-scenario you described was a daily, if not hourly, occurrence around here. I hope it gets better for you guys soon!
-Kelly

Lisa said...

Welcome to my world. It will get easier or maybe you will just get used to it. Either way you will soon find out what works for you and Lucas. Alyssa did/does the same thing. Maybe he knows that at school he most likely won't get his way but with momma you are more likely to give in.

Frances Katrin said...

We have similar issues that come and go. We find that having a "routine" associated with the car ride (transition) to and from school helps. Our routine is a back of nuts/ pretzels and carton of milk (the kind you don't have to refrigerate). It gives Katrin something to "work on" for the ride in and away. We also have supply of "friends" and books in the backseat for her to work on.

I think so often how much I enjoy my drives in and out of work to just unwind... our kids have the same issue except they are concentrating on anything like driving. Instead they are being ignored by their parents concentrating on the road... how dare we! :)