Friday, October 07, 2005

Baby Squirrel

Yesterday we rescued (I think) a baby squirrel at work. It was hanging out in the grass, right next to the sidewalk outside my building. It appeared to have two broken back legs, which I later learned probably meant it had a broken back. After calling about 300 #s, including the Raleigh police on accident, we got in touch with the NC Wildlife organization. The first guy I talked to said that there was no rehab that could be done and they would probably "put it out of it's misery". I asked how they would put it to sleep and he said that I didn't want to know. When I talked to the guys that ended up coming and getting him, I asked if they would try to save it's life. They said of course! This little guy would be taken to the best rehab facility in the area. They would give him fluids to rehydrate him, and then see what they could do to get him climbing trees again. I was buying all of this until I asked them how they put injured deer into their little bitty truck and he told me that they usually have to shoot them in the woods. Okay, so you'll shoot Bambi but you're going to take my little squirrel to the rehabs of all rehabs? Anyway, I'm not sure calling the wildlife folks was the right thing to do. Maybe it would have been better to let nature run it's course...and hope that his fellow squirrels would come to his rescue. But then again, when I think of those little brown eyes looking at everyone walking by, I don't think I could have ignored him...not sure what I'll do next time...

No comments: