Wednesday, June 11, 2008

3 Nights in a Row!

Last night he went to sleep a little before 9pm and got up this morning at 7:15am. I forgot to document that for the past three nights he has worn a short sleeved pj shirt and a diaper (not pants). Also, the sheet on his bed someone ended up on the floor (because he was making tents with it), so for the past three nights he has been covered up with just his light-weight comforter. Before these three nights he wore shirt and pants and didn't cover up at all.

Just so I remember, here is what Lucas's night sleep patterns have been like over the past 6 months:

- Fall 2007- woke up at least twice a night to nurse
- Christmas 2007 - Sandy and Jeff got Lucas to where he would call for Jeff when he woke up (still twice a night). Did not nurse at night from end of December through first of April.
- Early April 2008 - Lucas and I got a viral infection (kind of like the flu) and then Jeff got it. When Lucas and I were sick we spent a lot of time napping together and I nursed him at night when he woke up with a fever. When Jeff got sick he couldn't care for Lucas at night, so he started nursing again when I would go in to him. Jeff got better the day before Lucas started Montessori school... we didn't want Lucas to have a "bad" night the day before school, so I continued to go in and nurse him during the transition to school.
- End of May 2008 - We had a very tough few weeks in a row. I think my milk was decreasing, but it was made worse because we went out of town (a triathlon and Memorial Day weekend) and Lucas had to sleep with us. When we returned home we decided to try and get Jeff to go in to soothe Lucas at night again. We tried it for 2 nights in a row. Both nights Jeff tried to get Lucas to sleep for 3 hours. The first night he fell asleep sitting up because he was so tired (but woke up 2 hours later). The second night we gave in after three hours and I nursed him and cuddled with him. He was so shaken up that I was thinking that we had damaged him... we swore we'd just go with his needs and not try to force night weaning again.
- Early June 2008 - Lucas was consistently going to bed around 9pm, getting up around 1am, 5am, and up for day around 6:30am. I was staying up at least an hour with him each night because I couldn't sleep with him anymore while he nursed.
- June 8, 2008 - Lucas surprised us by sleeping through the night.

1 comment:

Meg Boyd said...

I can't believe what a trooper you have been. It has been 8months today and I am really loosing it with waking all night to nurse...I sure hope Macklin sleeps as long as Lucas soon!