Thursday, June 05, 2008

Our Morning Routine

I love our morning routine. I had forgotten how much I enjoy a routine. When I worked from home I would always intend to get up and get going early, but with Lucas waking up at night I would also want to sleep until the last possible second. That meant I was usually working in my pj's and never really got a good start on the day. Now I do the same thing every morning, which is less stressful because I don't have to think about it. This is how our mornings go most days...



6:00 I wake up and hop in shower and then get ready.

6:30 I iron my clothes and Lucas's clothes, eat breakfast, straighten up if needed.

7:00 Lucas wakes up. Half the time he wants to nurse and half the time he wants to EAT!

7:05 Jeff and Tyson wake up when they hear that Lucas is awake.

7:10 Make breakfast with Lucas, Jeff and Tyson. He has some combination of waffles, yogurt, veggie sausage, or smoothie. He is usually really hungry and eats more than we make during round 1.

7:30 Change diaper, get Lucas dressed.

7:45 All four of us go into our bathroom to fix Lucas's hair and brush his teeth. His hair is crazy in the mornings, so we wet it and style it with a dryer. He's always pleased with the result and grins at himself in the mirror. Then Jeff helps him brush his teeth by putting toothpaste on brush and helping him if he needs help with the back teeth.

7:55 Make sure we have everything for the day. Make Lucas a snack for the car. He likes to have two snack options and a water on the way to school. On the way home it's two snack options and a juice box. We put the snack in little cups that I then put in the cup holder in the front seat - this way he can see the snacks and tell me when he wants them.

8:00 Dada gives Lucas a ride to the car and buckles him in his car seat.

8:05 After a high five, kiss and hug for Dada we are on our way. The past few mornings we get out of the driveway and Lucas starts saying, "Dada, kiss!", so we have to turn around and either honk the horn or call Jeff on his cell to come back out for a kiss. After this Lucas is satisfied and ready to roll.

8:15 On the way to school we talk about his friends in his class and I ask him what kind of work he's going to do that day. Sometimes we sing our own version of The Driver on the Bus (more on this and sometimes we roll down the windows and open the sun roof and jam out some cheesy 80's song on the radio. Lucas giggles as he moves his little body from left to right in his car seat.

8:25 Arrive at school. When Lucas sees his school he gets excited and says, "hi school! hi flag!"

8:30 Walk into school, take off Lucas's outdoor shoes and put on his bright green crocs. I give him a hug and tell him to have a good day and then he takes the hand of one of his teachers and walks into school. The first thing he does each morning is wash his hands.

8:45 I arrive at work.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Routines are fantastic!! I'm really happy that everything is working out for you Shan.